Monday, October 16, 2006

Cooking with the Junior League of New Orleans

Anyone who knows me know that I am not exactly Junior League-esque. But, my best friend who is from New Orleans gave me this classic cookbook called The Plantation Cookbook from The Junior League of New Orleans. I've had the book for almost a year and haven't tackled more than one or two recipes in it. Reading Julia Powell's book has inspired me to go back into some of my more neglected cookbooks and try some new recipes. Hence, my family's trip to the Bayou last night.

So our menu from last night consisted of Tomatoes Stuffed with Mushrooms and Chicken Dijon. I was going to also make some asparagus, but since I had so much chicken (for just two adults and one toddler), I decided to forgo the green veggie just this once. Both recipes were really rich, but definitely yummy. I cut them both in half since the recipes were for 8 portions. The only thing I might do differently is to go very lightly on the cracker crumbs on the chicken. I tend to have a heavy hand for that kind of thing, and it can make the chicken end up tasting drier than it is. Next time I'll only sprinkle a few on for texture. But, the tomatoes were perfect and even Sofia (my toddler) loved them.

And, I am generally not a dessert maker. I am just as happy to buy some ice cream or a pie from the bakery. But Rick (my hubbie) saw that I was going to town in the kitchen and asked if I was going to make dessert too. Rather than brain him (as I was tempted to do), I checked to see what recipes from the cookbook I could make with what I had on hand. It turns out that I had everything I needed for caramel squares. They came out just as they were meant to, but next time I would serve them with a dollop of whipped creme or vanilla ice cream on top.

So, here are the recipes (and FYI, I chose not to use nuts in the tomatoes and dessert):

Tomatoes Stuffed with Mushrooms
8 medium-size tomatoes, firm but ripe
1 stick butter
1 1/4 pounds mushrooms, sliced
1 cup sour cream
4 teaspoons flour
1 1/2 ounces Roquefort cheese, room temperature
1 teaspoon chopped parsley
2 tablespoons dry sherry
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Worcestershire -- a dash
8 teaspoons ground almonds (optional)
Paprika

Wash tomatoes. Slice off tops, spoon out soft insides, and turn shells upside down to drain. Melt butter and saute mushrooms until moisture has evaporated. Blend sour cream and flour with mushrooms, and cook over low heat until thick and bubbly. Add Roquefort and stir until smooth. Add parsley, sherry, salt, pepper, Worcestershire, and let cool. Stuff shells, sprinkle with almonds and paprika, and bake in 375 oven until bubbly, about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve immediately.

Chicken Dijon
16 chicken pieces, boned
Salted milk (for each 1/4 cup of milk add 1/4 teaspoon salt)
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 cup Dijon-type mustard
3 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons celery salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 teaspoons lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, pressed
Pepper
1 cup fine cracker crumbs

Soak chicken pieces in salted milk 1 hour. In separate bowl, mix sour cream, mustard, paprika, celery salt, Worcestershire, lemon juice, and garlic. Let stand one hour. Dry chicken and sprinkle with pepper. Heavily coat chicken pieces with sour cream mixture, sprinkle with crumbs, and place on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake in 400 oven for 15 minutes, then lower oven temperature to 325 and continue baking for 20 minutes.

Caramel Squares
1 stick butter, softened
1 pound light brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
Garnish: 1 pint whipping cream (optional)

Cream butter and sugar. Add flour, baking powder, salt, and vanilla. Mix. Add eggs and pecans. Mix. Pour into a greased flat pan 13 x 9 x 2" and bake in 375 oven for 20-30 minutes. Cool, then cut into squares, or cut into eight portions, and top with whipped cream.


Note: All recipes are courtesy of "The Plantation Cookbook", B.E. Trice Publishing, New Orleans, 1972

No comments: