Thursday, October 19, 2006

Can't Beet It

I love beets -- I love them in salads. But, I've never really tried too hard to make them at home. I always thought that they would be difficult. I couldn't have been more wrong. Yesterday I went to Chowhound and got some suggestions on how to roast them. It was so easy and the beets came out great. Here is what I did:

-- Scrub four baby beets, leaving the roots intact, and cutting the greens to about an inch from the top of the beets (this helps retain the beets color and liquid)
-- Don't peel the beets
-- Put them in a sheet of tin foil with a generous amount of olive oil, salt, and pepper
-- Wrap them up in the tin foil so that you have a neat little package
-- Roast at 375 for about 45 mins (depending on the number and size of beets you use)
-- Test doneness with a toothpick; it should come out of the beets easily, but make sure not to roast them until they're mushy
-- Remove from oven and let cool
-- Once cool, use a paper towel to rub off the skin. You won't believe how easy it will be to peel the beets this way

And here is what I did for the salad:
-- Slice the beets into strips
-- Create a viniagrette with olive oil and orange juice in a 1:1 ratio, add salt and pepper to taste
-- Add the beets to romaine lettuce and goat cheese (or any number of other ingredients to your choosing)
-- Toss the beet viniagrette into the salad and added a little more salt and pepper

I served it with a ribeye steak and some asparagus tossed with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Delicious!

Now, what to make for tonight's dinner...

No comments: