Monday, March 16, 2009

Green Risotto

A friend of mine was coming over to dinner tonight with her daughters and I knew I wanted to make a risotto -- I like to do the one-dish meal when we're having the dinner-playdate.  I wanted to make something different than my normal repertoire of risottos, so I was poking around the internet for some ideas when I came across a recipe for risotto with fava beans.   Given that it's the middle of March, I knew that it was probably too early to find favas.  I tried three places, including our farmers' market, and discovered I was correct:  I need to wait a couple more weeks.  Instead, I found some English peas and decided to use them instead.   Since I like the sweetness of fresh peas, I thought that it might be nice to use scallions in addition to yellow onion.  I also figured that a touch of lemon would work too, so when I pureed the peas, I used the meyer lemon olive oil that I love.  If you don't have access to lemon-infused oil, you can always use regular extra virgin olive oil and add freshly-squeezed lemon juice.  

Green Risotto
(4-6 servings)

1/2 lb fresh English peas
1/4 cup lemon-infused olive oil
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped 
3-4 scallions, white and light green parts only
5 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup white wine
1/3 cup fresh grated Parmigiano cheese, plus more to taste

-- Add shelled peas to boiling salted water.  Blanch for 1 minute, then drain and submerge in ice water to stop cooking process (and keep peas bright green).
-- When cool, puree peas with olive oil and set aside.

-- In saucepan, bring broth to a simmer and keep hot.
-- In a separate large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in medium heat.
-- Add onions and scallions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
-- Reduce heat to medium-low, and add rice.  Toast rice until opaque and it starts to release a nutty aroma, about 2 minutes, stirring the entire time.
-- Add wine and stir until liquid is mostly absorbed, and then add one ladle of broth.  
-- Continue to stir until broth is absorbed and add another ladle of broth. Stir frequently.  Repeat this process until rice is al dente and has a creamy consistency, about 2o minutes.   
-- Add pea puree to risotto, and stir until well-blended.   
-- Remove from heat, add remaining butter and Parmigiano cheese, and stir to incorporate. 
-- Serve immediately with more cheese to taste.  

The color of the pureed peas is so pretty -- a bright celery green color.  When you add it to the rice, it gives the entire dish a lovely light green hue.  I wish I had taken a photo of it, but since the meal was for guests, I didn't want to bring out the camera and start taking pictures of my meal.  Next time I make it, I'll take a picture.  Oh, and there will be a next time.  My 4-year-old (my toughest critic) loved it, and even had two helpings, consuming green veggies without even realizing it.  Another thing I could have done was to have reserved some of the peas before I pureed them, and then added the whole peas to the risotto when I added the puree.  But, knowing that I was going to be feeding four children under the age of 5, I figure that calling attention to the presence of vegetables would be a mistake.   In addition, I served the risotto with a simple arugula salad (which my 2-year old gobbled up).

I haven't given up on the fava beans.  Once they're in season, I am going to try this one again with the favas.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.