Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Chicken Paillard with Lemon and Shallot Sauce Served Two Ways

I threw a dinner party on Saturday night that required a few trips to Whole Foods as well as our neighborhood mom-and-pop grocery store. As a result, I have been unmotivated to see the inside of either place for a couple of days.  Tonight I figured I would slap together whatever I could find in the refrigerator.  I normally have at least one chicken breast in my freezer, and tonight I happend to have two.  I also had some shallot left over from the other night, and about two dozen meyer lemons from my tree in the back yard.   I decided this was enough to make some kind of chicken cutlets and a sauce.  

The organic chicken breasts that I buy are always very thick, and I almost never use them whole.  In most cases, I slice them through the middle -- I am just too impatient to wait for the thick ones to cook.  I am also lazy, so in most cases I won't even pound the chicken breast to create a uniform thickness.  I guess that means that my recipe isn't a true pailliard, but what the hell -- it's my blog, I'll call it what I want.  

Since I essentially made this up as I was going along, the ingredient amounts aren't exact, but are probably a pretty good estimation.  

Chicken Paillard with Lemon and Shallot Sauce
(serves 2-4)

4 chicken breasts, about 1/2 inch thick
2-3 tablespoons canola oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1-2 tablespoons minced shallot 
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup chicken broth
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt to taste

-- Pat dry chicken breasts and sprinkle with salt and pepper
-- Heat canola oil in skillet over med-high heat
-- When oil is hot, add chicken and sear about 2-3 minutes per side
-- Remove chicken when just opaque, tent with foil, and set aside
-- Reduce heat and add shallot, cooking until soft and fragrant, less than 2 minutes
-- Add butter and let melt
-- Add flour and wisk to incorporate it into butter
-- Add chicken broth, then increase heat to allow sauce to reduce
-- When reduced by almost half, add lemon juice
-- Let reduce a little more, add salt to taste
-- Return chicken to pan to rest in sauce for about a minute 
-- Serve breasts with sauce spooned over top

I served the chicken to my husband and kids with quartered potatoes and peas -- a solid, balanced weeknight meal.  For me, I had some arugula I wanted to use, so I shredded a breast, and served it over a little salad I made with the arugula, thinly sliced red onion, kalamata olives, and thinly shaved slices of parmigiano cheese.  Instead of a dressing, I just drizzed a couple of teaspoons of the sauce over my salad.  The combination of the arugula with the sauce was really tasty.  I think that I will also use this sauce on fish in the future.   


No comments: