Thursday, April 24, 2008

Clean Out the Fridge, Add Eggs, and Call it Frittata

Yesterday morning I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner. Wednesdays are busy with S's late afternoon swim class, so I knew it had to be quick and easy to make. I was too lazy this week to plan ahead, so when I came across a recipe for a frittata I knew I had my solution.

In addition to its speedy prep, the beauty of the frittata is that you can toss in just about anything in your refrigerator that you need to get rid of. So I went to the fridge and pulled out Italian sausage, blue potatoes, a leek, 1/2 a yellow onion, and some cheddar cheese. Oh, and of course eggs. 10 of them.

It came out really tasty. And pretty too. With the yellow from the eggs, the blue potatoes, the light green leeks, and the red from the sausage, it was definitely colorful. And my husband, to whom I've been married 8 years, and for whom I've made countless meals informed me last night that he loooves frittata. How is it that I am just learning this now? In fact, he claimed that his middle name is "frittata" (I thought it was James).

Anyway, you can make your own frittata with just about anything sitting in your fridge. Here's the recipe for mine.

Multi-colored Frittata
serves 4

1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
2 hot Italian sausage links, casings removed and sliced into disks
1 leek, chopped (white and light green parts)
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
3 blue potatoes, skin removed, diced
Pepper and Kosher salt to taste
10 eggs, beaten
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

-- Preheat oven to 400
-- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat
-- Saute leeks and onions until soft, about five minutes
-- Add potatoes, sausage, salt and pepper. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes
-- Add eggs to skillet, and mix around to distribute evenly
-- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of eggs
-- Bake in oven until eggs are puffed, edges start to brown, and eggs come clean on knife, about 15 minutes
-- Cut into wedges and serve





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like the kiddos liked it. You can almost use anything in a frittata. And you can even use the leftovers for lunch the next day.